About the ICFAI University
The ICFAI University, Dehradun, Uttarakhand (herein after referred to as the University) was established under the ICFAI University Act 2003 (Act No.16 of 2003) passed by the Uttaranchal Legislative Assembly and assented to by the Governor on July 8, 2003. The University has also been awarded the certificate for E-Learning Excellence in Academic Digitization (e-LEAD).
• Ranked 36th among Top 50 World’s Universities with Real Impact (WURI) Ranking 2021 under Industrial Application.
• Ranked 45th among Top Universities, In India and only University in Uttarakhand with THE Times Higher Education World’s Impact Ranking 2021 which includes 18 tables-One for each of the 17 SDGs as well as one overall Ranking 2020-21.
• Ranked 13th in the Private University (Premier Category) by Indian Institutional Ranking Framework (IIRF, 2020-21).
• Ranked 1st among Top Private Universities in Uttarakhand; by Education World Higher Education Ranking 2020-21.
• Ranked 19th among Top Private Universities in North India; by Education World Higher Education Ranking 2020-21.
• Ranked 46th among Top 100 Private Universities in India: by Education World Higher Education Ranking 2020-21.
About Icfai Law School, Dehradun
ICFAI Law School (formerly known as the Faculty of Law), a constituent of ICFAI University, Dehradun, has been established with the objective of developing a new generation of legal professionals through a comprehensive and contemporary body of knowledge, professional skills, and research that integrates law with Management and Humanities. The Bar Council of India has accorded its approval for imparting three-year and five-year law courses at ICFAI University, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, and awarding degrees in law.
IUD Law Rankings 2020-21
• Ranked 13th among Best Law Schools of Eminence in India & Rated AAA+ Among Top (Pvt.& Govt) Law School of Uttarakhand in North Zone by Careers 360, 2021.
• Ranked 13th among Top Law Schools of Eminence in India by Indian Institutional Ranking Framework (IIRF), 2020-21.
• Ranked 1st among Top Law Schools in Uttarakhand (Govt. & Pvt. Law Schools) by CSR-GHRDC Survey 2021.
• Ranked 5th among Top Leading Law Schools of Super Excellence in Overall Rank in India (Govt. and Pvt. Law Schools) by CSR-GHRDC Survey 2021.
About The Centre
Centre for Corporate Law and Governance has been constituted under the ambit of The ICFAI University, Dehradun following its rules & regulations. The Centre aims to encourage education and research-oriented studies in the field of Corporate Law & Governance. The focus of the Centre is to venture into new projects, which will announce the convergence of academia and expert insights on various matters on Corporate Law concerning the future. The goal of the Centre is to support advocacy, research and policy-oriented discussions in the areas of Corporate Law and Governance.
About The Competition
The National Debate Competition aims to expose the students to complex situations and help them identify legal problems or gaps in their topic. This competition can help students reach the conclusion of any case by adopting any particular approach.
This competition aims to break the shackles of regionalism and bring together brilliant minds from all across the nation on a single platform, providing them with an opportunity to speak their hearts out on issues of significant relevance.
This shall be an online event.
• At present, students/participants must be pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Law, i.e., 3-year LL.B / 5-year LL.B course from any recognized college or university
• There will be a cap of 40 participants only, and participants will be selected on a first come, first served basis.
• The topic for prelims shall be released 2 days prior to the competition.
• The topics for semi-final and final round shall be released for the qualified participants on the day of the competition, i.e. on 27th & 28th April, 2022 respectively.
• Fill out the form below to register yourself. • For registration, follow the link
• Fill out your Name, Year of Study, Branch, and University details to complete the registration form. • There will be No Registration Fee.
• This debate competition is a solitary competition without the involvement of any team.
• Upon successful registration, the participants will receive an email from the Organizing team, providing them with their Team Code, post 2 days of the last date of registration. If the participants do not receive such an email, they may contact the organizing team at email@example.com
Rules and Regulations
• The participants shall not disclose their identity and shall represent themselves by the code allotted to them post-registration.
• Use of foul or obscene language will lead to disqualification.
• Any behavior of indiscipline with the Judges or members of the Organizing Committee shall be dealt with strictly and may lead to immediate disqualification from the Competition without any scope of an appeal.
• The organizers shall not be responsible for any loss caused due to internet connectivity during the competition.
• The competition will be held via the Video conferencing Platform–Zoom Meeting.
• The link shall be provided to each participants 10 minutes prior to the scheduled round.
• The competition will be held for 2 days i.e. on 27th & 28th April, 2022 which will consist of 3 stages: • Prelims
• The Centre for Corporate Law & Governance may alter/change the rules and regulations, at any point of time and the same shall be binding on the participants.
• The decision of the judges invited for evaluation will be final and binding.
• The last date for registration is April 23rd, 2022. The registration link will close on April 23rd at 11:59 pm. Dresscode
The dress code for the Competition must be formal. Semi Finals and Finals:
The topics will be announced on the day of the competition i.e. on 27th & 28th April.
Structure for the Debate
It shall be an individual event. There shall be two sides: one for the motion (affirmative side) & one against the motion (opposing side). The sides will be allotted based on a draw of lots which will be conducted prior to the debating sessions.
Conducting the Debate
The debate opens with the affirmative side presenting their arguments, followed by the statement of the opposing side. Finally, each side gets an opportunity to rebut the arguments of the opponent (a surebuttal opportunity will be given only in the semi-finals and finals).
Timeline for Prelims
• The speaker of the affirmative side presents arguments in support of the resolution. (4 minutes)
• The speaker of the opposing side presents arguments opposing the resolution. (4 minutes)
• Timings will be displayed on the screen twice, once after 1 minute and second after another 3 minutes. • Rebuttal of the affirmative side (1 minute) • Rebuttal of the opposing side (1 minute) • There cannot be any interruptions. Speakers must wait for their turns. The judges shall ensure the same. Timeline for Semi-Finals & Finals
• The speaker of the affirmative side presents arguments in support of the resolution. (6 minutes)
• The speaker of the opposing side presents arguments opposing the resolution. (6 minutes)
• Rebuttal of the affirmative side. (2minutes) • Rebuttal of the opposing side. (2minutes) • Surrebuttal of the affirmative side. (2minutes) • Surrebuttal of the opposing side. (2minutes) • There cannot be any interruptions. Participants must wait for their turns.
• Total Speaking time for each Speaker (10 minutes) • A maximum of 10 minutes will be allotted after the surrebuttal for Judges to make their concluding remarks.
Criteria for Evaluation
The ground for evaluation of debate will be on the following parameters:-
• Organization & Clarity
• Presentation Style
• Knowledge of Subject
• Originality & Ingeniousness
• Effective Rebuttals
Awards & Certificates
The total prize money is ` 10,000.
|Best Speaker (Affirmative Side)||`2,500|
|1st Runner up (Affirmative Side)||`1,500|
|2nd Runner up (Affirmative Side)||`1,000|
|Best Speaker (Opposing Side)||`2,500|
|1st Runner up (Opposing Side)||`1,500|
|2nd Runner up (Opposing Side)||`1,000|
The selected Top Performers will be awarded E-certificates of Appreciation. All the participants will be awarded E-certificates for participation.
For any queries participants may reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested participants may also
contact Public Relation Team for any query related :
Mr. Amitesh Aaryan (7759969128);
Mr. Sachin Dixit (765203872)
Mr. Abu Bakar Mokarim; Ms. Nitya
Prof. (Dr.) Ram Karan Singh
Vice Chancellor, The ICFAI University, Dehradun
Brig. Rajiv Sethi (Retd.)
Registrar, The ICFAI University, Dehradun
Mr. Abu Bakar Mokarim
Ms. Stuti Tiwari
Assistant Dean, ICFAI Law School
Dr. Monika Kharola
|Convenor||Mr. Abu Bakar Mokarim|
|Secretary||Ms. Kajal Tyagi|
|Editorial||Mr. Himanshu Goenka, Mr. Dhruv Sharma|
|Public Relations||Mr. Amitesh Kumar, Mr. Sachin Dixit|
|Media/Digital||Mr. Shitanshu Abhishek, Mr. Ashutosh Sharma, Mr. Utkarsh Arora|
|Executive Member||Ms. Bidisa Naredi, Ms. Ishani Khanna, Ms. Kaushiki Keshari|
|Volunteer||Ms. Aditi Agrawal,|
|Ms. Muskan Kulshreshtha|