Kerala Law Academy Law College is inviting submissions for its 12th International Seminar on Changing Dimensions of Media Law scheduled on June 25th 2022.
About the Organization
The Kerala Law Academy Law College (KLA), established in 1966 is a Centre for legal studies, legal research and law reforms. Its acclaimed peer-reviewed Research Journal is published continuously since 1977.
The College, affiliated to the University of Kerala, offers Undergraduate programs in BA LL.B. and B. Com LL.B. five-year integrated courses, LLB Unitary three-year course and Post-Graduate courses of LL.M (Administrative Law), LL.M (International Law) and MBL (Master of Business Law).
About the Seminar
Kerala Law Academy Law College in association with Centre for Advanced Legal Studies and Research (CALSAR) is organizing a One Day International Seminar on Changing Dimensions of Media Law on June 25th 2022 from the Kerala Law Academy Campus, Peroorkada, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
Professor Jeeva Niriella, Dean Faculty of Criminal Justice, General Sir John Kotelawala University, Sri Lanka is our Chief Guest of this International Seminar
Call for Papers
The Organizing Committee is calling for Research Articles from Law Students, Academicians, Lawyers, Social Workers, Policy Makers, and Officials from various Departments- Representatives from Institutions and Professionals; NGO, Social Activists, Social Science Researchers and Faculty and Research Scholars.
Media is often referred to as the “fourth estate of democracy”, entrusting it with great responsibility and power. In this sense, media functions to be the “voice of the people” subjecting public machinery towards greater accountability and transparency. Mass Media systems of the world vary from each other according to the economy, polity, religion and culture of different societies. Shifting our view to the Indian perspective and its system of Parliamentary Democracy, it is true that, the Press is free but subject to certain reasonable restrictions imposed by the Constitution of India, 1950, as amended (“Constitution”). Before the impact of globalization was felt, the mass media was wholly controlled by the government, which let the media project only what the government wanted the public to see and in a way in which it wanted the public to see it. However, with the onset of globalization and privatization, the situation has undergone a humongous change. In such an era of media upsurge, it becomes an absolute necessity to impose certain legal checks and bounds on transmission and communication. In this age of media explosion, one cannot simply remain confined to the boundaries of the traditional media. The media world has expanded its dimensions by encompassing within its orbit, the widening vistas of cyber media etc. As a consequence, the laws governing them are also numerous.
This Seminar will attempt to explore the different aspects of Media Law as it plays a crucial role in our society. This aims to provide a brilliant platform for reflecting upon some of the essential concepts of this niche yet unique subject. The purpose of the Seminar is to serve as a medium that enlightens the outcome, unsolved questions, and further explore new directions in the field of media law.
The Seminar is conducted through the online platform ZOOM. All the participants should have good access to the internet and be able to access the above said online platform.
1. The Protection of Journalists’ Sources and Materials
2. Access to State Information I (freedom of information)
3. Legal Regulations for Social Media
4. Media in shaping critical consciousness for Power Balanced World.
5. Regulating Surreptitious Journalistic Practice
6. Misuse of private information
7. Access to state information
8. Masculinity and hierarchy in Media System
9. Paid news and propaganda: Government and Corporate Houses
10. Media Policies & Gender equity
11. Parliamentary Privileges, Judicial Reporting and the Media
12. Competition and Regulation of monopoly in media
13. Treacherous terrains: Whistleblowing and Investigative Journalism
14. Media in Democracies and non-democratic polities
15. Monitoring for Piracy and Plagiarism
Note: These Themes are not exhaustive; Authors are open to work on any topic related to above mentioned theme.
Kindly send the abstract on or before 15th June 2022 by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Research Articles received would be published in Proceedings with ISBN.
Guidelines for Paper Submission
• Kindly confine yourself to the areas identifiable with the title of seminar.
• The papers must be in Times New Roman, Font Size: Heading-14, Text-12 in A4 format, single line spacing, in justify not exceeding 2500 words including Title, details of the Author/s and Footnotes.
• Authors are encouraged to use The Bluebook (21st ed.) citation format for footnoting and it should be in Times New Roman Font 10 size. Further, speaking footnotes are discouraged.
• An Abstract not exceeding 250 words shall be submitted for consideration.
• The Abstract shall contain the Synopsis of the Paper, Subtitles, Reference materials and conclusion indicating author’s perspective.
• The Abstract must be mailed to email@example.com on or before June 15th, 2022. It must be accompanied by a cover page, stating the following: Title of the paper; Sub-Theme; Name of Author(s); Name of Institute/Organization; Official Designation; E-mail Address; Postal Address, Contact Number.
• The Submission should be in WORD FORMAT.
• All foot notes must adhere to 21st edition of Bluebook standards and must be styled using the foot note option in word. Borders, underlines or other design objects must not be included in the paper.
• References need not be mentioned at the end of a paper and must be included within footnotes.
• Precedents may be in Italics but not bold.
• All sub headings must be left aligned, in bold.
• The Papers shall be screened by a Committee. The Full Papers (2500 words) approved by the Committee shall be accepted for presentation in the Seminar. The intimation of selection will be made through E-mail.
• The final paper should contain a cover page which includes Name, Designation, Relevant Discipline and Year of Study, Address, E-mail id and Contact number. Authors are to give details in the Full Paper.
• Abstracts and papers should be written in English, and the working language of the Seminar will be English, and presentations shall be done in English.
• Submissions should be made by the author who will attend the Seminar.
• Co-Authorship is allowed but limited to one Co-Author only.
• Only one paper per participant will be permitted. Multiple submissions will lead to disqualification.
• No part of the paper should have been published earlier nor should it be under consideration for publication. Any form of Plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
• The Organizers will take earnest effort to publish the best articles selected from among those received, subject to their acceptance by reputed journals as per their criteria.
• Publishing Charges if any demanded for the journal is to be paid by the author.
Kindly send the abstract on or before June 15th, 2022 by e-mail to klainternationalseminar12 @gmail.com
• Submission of Abstracts: 15th June 2022.
• Communication of Abstract Acceptance: 16th June 2022.
• Submission of Full paper: 20th of June 2022.
• Intimation of Full paper Acceptance: 21st June 2022.
• Date of payment of Registration fee: 23rd June 2022.
• International Seminar: June 25th 2022
Registration Fees and Payment Details
There is a registration fee of INR 750 per Author (Additional fee of INR 250 should be paid in the case of maximum one Co-Author).
For Seminar Participation only: INR 100.
The payment can be made through the online link provided in the Kerala Law Academy website. (Link: https://keralalawacademy.in/forms/twelfth-international-seminar/ )
All the Participants registered for Presentation and Participation will be awarded with a respective E-certificate.
• Faculty Convenor:
1) Adv. Darsana S Thampi (Assistant Professor , Kerala Law Academy Law College):- +91 8086406054
2) Smt. Prajitha P.G (Assistant Professor , Kerala Law Academy Law College):- +91 7994561860
3) Sri. Sachin B (Assistant Professor , Kerala Law Academy Law College):- :- +
• Faculty Co-Convenors:
1) Dr. Dakshina Saraswathy (Assistant Professor, Kerala Law Academy Law College) :- +91 97441 69215
• Student Convenor:
1) Gautham Viswam +91 88910 01101
2) Lakshmi VS: 9605530081
3) Anagha S: 6238376060
4) Anjitha Unnithan: 9188860384
5) Aswin Rajeev: 80892 14552
6) Sharmina Nishad
7) Ardra Anil